1) be a full-time employee with the licensed Kansas funeral director under whom the apprenticeship is to be served (if you are serving an apprenticeship and intend to become a funeral director);
2) be at least seventeen (17) years of age; high school graduate or the equivalent as determined by the Kansas Department of Education;
3) be of good moral character, capable and trustworthy;
4) pay the appropriate initial license fee, a $150 application fee,
5) pass the written examination (unless serving an apprenticeship) - the examination fee is $50.00, and
6) be approved by the Board.
Because licenses are renewed biennially, you will be credited for any remaining months on an assistant funeral director license toward the funeral director license. The $150 application fee and months already served as an assistant funeral director will not be credited. Initial licenses are prorated at $7.50 per month – based on an established renewal schedule pertaining to the first letter of your surname (last name). The full biennial renewal cost is $180.00. If not serving an apprenticeship, employment does not have to be full-time.